Nip stress in the bud
Suffering from these secret signs of stress? Dr. Kerr offers five simple tips to conquer stress before its silent symptoms sneak up on you.
1. Learn to say no. Overextending yourself sparks internal anxiety. Only say yes to tasks that you want to do and deserve your attention.
2. Fit exercise into your day. Walking, even for a few minutes a day, helps lower stress levels and keeps your heart healthy.
3. Don’t skimp on sleep. Your body becomes more vulnerable to stress when you sleep fewer than 7 hours per night. If you can’t sleep in, turn in an hour earlier each evening, or catch a 15-minute nap when you can.
4. Take a break from technology. A 2012 study by the University of California at Irvine discovered that being constantly plugged in to email feeds stress. To fully relax, switch off the computer and smartphone outside of office hours.
5. Take your vacation. Don’t bank weeks and weeks of holiday time. Taking scheduled time off lets your body and mind revitalize.